eventsmessage boardAR Resourcessite map
atb in actionjoin!sponsorssupport crew

TBARC home

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeff Papenfus Memorials Ahead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrailBlazer Adventure Racing Club Forum Index -> Charlotte Chapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug gray
Ready to Race

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Jeff Papenfus Memorials Ahead Reply with quote

To the Adventure Racing/Mountain Biking community,

The adventure racing community lost a great person on Saturday, July 30, 2011.

Jeff Papenfus (Greenville SC) was riding down Curtis Creek road near Old Fort, NC on a training day with Derrick Zimmerman (from Greenville) and Elizabeth Morse (from Charlotte.) Derrick was downhill of the incident. Somehow Jeff fell face forward into the embankment. Elizabeth was the first to respond. Despite being stung by over 50 yellow jackets, she provided CPR and called 911. But Jeff did not speak. He is thought to have died upon impact.

There is a fine testimonial video and article in the Greenville, SC news, at
http://www.wyff4.com/r/28727766/detail.html

Jeff is survived by his wife Lisa. One of his teammates, Jim Kelleher, was one of the first family friends to comfort Lisa. I encourage you to keep her in your prayers in the months ahead.

1. On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 there will be a memorial service at Parris Mountain State Park in Greenville, SC at 10:00. The park superintendent is concerned about available parking, so if you plan to attend please carpool. And if you bring your bike there is a challenging trail ride that some are talking about taking after the service.

2. On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 0900 there will be a memorial ride starting at Curtis Creek campground. Plan on 5-6hrs if doing the loop up/over the BRP. Car pooling is encouraged. I will be there.

3. On Sat Aug 27, 2011 at about 9:30 we will hold a short memorial service before the 10:00 race meeting for the NCARS #2 26.2h race. Team GLR will convene for the last time, then retire that name. The location will be at Steele Creek Campground, uphill from Morganton, NC on SR181.

4. There is a memorial page of sorts at Jeff's Facebook page. Feel free to contribute.

5. If interested in contributing to a memorial marker of some kind please let me know.

Personally, I am very sad and filled with fine memories of Jeff. My prayer remains that all of us, in this little AR community, be safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrailBlazer Adventure Racing Club Forum Index -> Charlotte Chapter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: